Odyssey

Everyone must take a great journey through life. This is a little bit of my own, my odyssey.

Friday, January 28, 2005

Article in Fortune Magazine and the Human Existence

Well, it's kinda a long title... but oh well. I haven't posted in... oh god a long time. But I mean, what's there to say? I wake up at 5:30 in the morning, get to school, slog through the day and well... get out at 2:15. So anyway, I decided that since recently I've been having lots more opinions, that and the fact I go to a school with a couple thousand people, I should post more often. But bigger than that was I was sitting here at the computer, looking around, to see a Fortune magazine talking about blogs. And I went to this guy in Microsoft's blog, and so I thought that well, I could start posting... some stuff.

So, after that rather pointless paragraph of why I'm blogging, let's get to the actual post itself. The Human Existence, and the meaning of life (again, I know, but it's been a while.) This could take a while, so if you don't have the time... I dunno, I haven't written it as of ***now*** being the moment I am typing this. So if you don't have the time, please leave. Yeah, that means you in the back, yeah, the guys asleep.

Another pointless paragraph. So the human existence. First of all, I was thinking that timeless question one early moring on the bus (roughly 6:45 am), that question being, "what happens when we die?" Well, if I were a religious man of the faith the rest of my family is, I would say, "go to heaven or hell, duh". However some other religions have a bunch of other theories, like reincarnation and stuff, whatever you want to believe. And then the people I run into all the time, especially online, who say, "when you die, your brain stops sending signals, your heart stops beating, you just... stop working... you just... die". A rather grim fate we would share, no? Well that got me thinking a bunch of stuff, but mainly stuff about heaven. Your soul goes to heaven, do we have a soul? If we don't, then what's that feeling you get when you know you're doing something really bad, or just taking a cookie? Well, if I were a religious man, I would say that is my soul, and my inherent goodness trying to tell me, "no, don't take the cookie!" But, what if I'm not religious? Well I thought that, and I'm really just throwing this out here, what if it's just a complex series of learned behaviors?

For those who don't know, learned behaviors (the term described to the class in biology) is something that an animal well, learns to do. Usually, good behaviors are reinforced, bad ones are punished. So, let's imagine you're a kid, and you take your friend's toy. Your parents find out, you get grounded or whatever the punishment you receive, and of course, you give back the toy, after an apology, which you *should* feel bad for. Now, you know you don't want to go through that again, so you don't take a toy. Well let's say a couple years pass, and you see your friend left his Game Boy at your house, and you think you could just... keep it. But before making a decision, you suddenly remember the cookie a couple years back. You remember the punishment, and you sure don't want to go through that again, just with a Game Boy. Now you might not actually think this, for me and for some others, you might get a feeling in your "heart" that you know it isn't "right". That's what some people say. But what if it isn't that it's "wrong" to take your friend's Game Boy, maybe it's just instinctive. You don't to get hurt, so you don't take the Game Boy, the waking conscious can think what it likes, but the subconscious sees it as survival. That's basically it.

For those who liked that, read the next couple paragraphs, for those who thought it was kinda boring... please leave. Yeah, that means you guys in the front, I saw you doze off. Okay, so now onto human existence, or more specifically, the meaning of life.

Another timeless question, "why are we here?" also popped into my head about the same time as the first question, that day on the bus. Well, I can't answer that question, nobody can, I can only throw out something. Let's first start off with something we as humans create. We create toothbrushes to brush our teeth, tv's to watch stuff, communicate ideas, and phones/IM to communicate on a closer level. I could go on and on with stuff like pencils, desks, chairs, computers, books, everything that we created has a purpose of some sort, even if that purpose is no more than to help fulfill something else's purpose, like a battery. So, somehow we as humans were created, by god or by random chance, we were created. The point is something happened and we popped up here. Now, let's imagine now that we are that toothbrush, and whatever created us is now the human in the previous scenario. So if we are a toothbrush, we are to brush teeth, keep them clean, minty fresh breath, no plaque. So, let's go back to us as people. We were created, and must also serve some purpose. Even if we were created just so our creators can watch us struggle, that is our purpose.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there, something for you guys to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home