Odyssey

Everyone must take a great journey through life. This is a little bit of my own, my odyssey.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Freedom of Press: too much?

The first thing I see for AOL when I log in is a little screen that has a bunch of news things on it. One of the things I see is people saying that the press has too much freedom from the 1st amendment to the constitution. According to this AOL news article, 36% think that newspaper articles should get government approval, 51% says they should publish freely, and of course, 13% have no opinion. Naturally. So, do I think the press has too many freedoms? Well personally, I don't read every single newspaper article there is in every newspaper I get. I flip through, look at headlines, read important stuff, like Iraq, read big bold lettering, if there are any pictures of hot girls I'll stop to look ^_^ but other than that, I don't really read all the newspaper. Now, there was another story about some high school newspaper that had an article about a coach paying his players for stuff like showing up to practices, blocking shots, etc. I guess they're talking about that when it comes to "too much freedom?". Well, personally, I think that stuff SHOULD be in the paper. I mean, I might wanna get on that team ^_^ Okay, not really. But I do think that if something wrong is up, people do need to know about it. And this isn't necessarily talking about any crooked coaches or whatever, but I mean anything. If there's something bad happening in the government, I'd want to know. Especially if it's my tax money that's being spent on it... But yeah, there are limits to press I think; like saying something that purposefully hurts somebody's image. I think that's a crime even. But what I'm saying here, is if we didn't have such freedoms, than a lot of things could end up getting swept under the rug, which would allow more people (like say, the president or something) to get away with a little bit more, especially if the government itself had to approve articles. I think that these amendments were set in place for a reasonn, and I also think that these are some main reasons why America is like it is today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home