Odyssey

Everyone must take a great journey through life. This is a little bit of my own, my odyssey.

Monday, June 06, 2005

D.C. Trip

Well my dad, my little bro. , my little sis. and myself all went up to Washington D.C. this past weekend to see the relatives and that other stuff that's at D.C. After about 4 hours of driving, we finally arrive at Embassy Suites... just at 12:30 and we can't check in until 3. So we decide to head over to my Uncle Ramone's house (I don't know how to spell his name...) in D.C. (we are still in VA). We put the car in hotel parking and walk across the street to the metro. After 20 minutes of waiting, dad finally realizes that I have been right about the fact that we have missed two trains we were supposed to get on.... yeah.... so we get on, follow the directions we get, and we get to my uncle's house, located down the street from the capitol building.

There, at his house, is him, my aunt Rachael, aunt Carmen, and my grandmother, whom I have not seen since I was a wee lad and she's about 95 right now. And we get greeted kindly, and they were very nice. After a while of visiting, we head over to what everybody in the family wants to see most, the Museum of Native Americans... at least, I think that's what the name was. It's about Native Americans. So I, my dad, my brother, and uncle Ramone took the metro-rail and everybody else got to ride the car. The race was on! Well... it was a tie.

At the museum we went through security, then we sat there and waited 15 minutes for a tour guide. To accurately describe the humor of this little piece of the visit, I must give the dialogue. But let me first say that I saw this particular tour guide yawn as he came out... and that's the one our family was with.
Old lady (who asked a lot of pointless questions): What is that window on the ceiling for? There's a kind of design on it.
Guide: Oh, uh, that. Well, it uh.... um..... well it represents a lot of things. It uh... represents the sky. oh, and if you notice how the stairs and the ramp from the two front doors go down... that symbolizes... going down.... into the earth. Because the uh.... native americans always showed signs of the earth in uh... building.

Yeah... the moral of that particular story is, never get stuck with an old lady who asks stupid questions, and more importantly, never go with the tour guide who was seen yawning. The family followed the tour guide, and after ten minutes of... well... "the steps going down symbolize uh... going... down..." I decided to look a the interesting exhibits. Of course, I had to explain to the family that I actually WAS paying attention to information about my ancestors, and not being lazy. They thought that me repeating how that guide acted was pretty funny.

So concludes PART ONE or... THE FIRST PART or.... THE FRIDAY THAT I GOT THERE or... well that's enough. More parts coming whenever I post them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home