Odyssey

Everyone must take a great journey through life. This is a little bit of my own, my odyssey.

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Long Day

I don't believe this, mom is going to force me to get up at 6:15 tomorrow morning, just so I can ride with my chemistry teacher up to some science olympiad thing. I'm not really into that kind of stuff... that's Ben's department (friend of mine). And I want to sleep in until forever, I literally didn't go to sleep last night. I got in a fight with Buddy, so at night when I went to bed, my mind was swimming. Then, I realized I hadn't studied my hiragana sufficiently enough for my Japanese lesson at 8:30 the next morning. (this was all last night by the way). So, twelve o'clock rolls around, when I finally get my argument out of my mind, only to remember, again, that I need to study. I told myself I'd do it in the morning, and I laid there for two more hours. by two in the morning, I finally got up and said, "Roland, you are not tired, go transliterate some Japanese."

So, after two hours of transliterating (just writing down the sounds for hiragana/katakana, my lessons are mixed up so I really don't know the meanings for the words I see, kind of complicated), I decide to pack up, and go to sleep. That's, four in the morning. By four-thirty in the morning, I now realize that sleep is an impossible dream, so, now I proceed to actually translate the stuff I transliterated earlier, with the help of my newly bought Japanese dictionary. Then, when I'm ready to do the 30 more I thought I had, I turned the page of my photocopies (she just copies them because her book is very old, from college), and I realize I'm missing 4 pages of sentences! >_< Darn. Well, that's okay, I'll just get started on lesson 5 in the language part (I should be on lesson 15 according to the book so I know what the hiragana are saying in terms of definitions). So, that lasts me until six.

Well, it's six, I got no sleep, what is one to do? I lay there at the ceiling, hoping for only half an hour of sleep, but I realize that even though I only sleep for half an hour, when I wake up I will be extremely angry, so, I just get up to get some leftover chicken for breakfast, and a glass of lemonade to wake me up.

That sleepless night did wonders for my skills, because for the whole hour and fifteen minutes of class, what did we do? Translate. I was all over that, translating this this and this, all because of my no sleep night. So, we leave, she tells my mom I'm doing well, mom is glad, we go, I have three mountains dews with lunch, because I still have karate to go.

I get there, we stretch, knuckle pushups on the sidewalk outside, then, sparring. Wow, I hadn't sparred for literally a year and a half. Was I ready? Yes. My first match up was just... exercise, easy, warm-ups. Seconds match, sit out (uneven number of people), third math, up against second degree black belt, rules: kicks only. Well, whe was good, I would block her kicks, , she'd keep coming, and I'd kick, but I was so tall, she'd duck. Well, then I just aimed for her back, so when she ducked, I'd hit her in the head. Lost by two points though, oh well. Last round: that girl from the previous post, she was tough, we could do hands attacks, but only back leg wheel kicks in the kicking category. It was hard. She duck and go for my side after my kicks, but after twice I easily had all of her techniques down. I kept switching sides to keep her confused, and it worked.

So I get home, more argument with Buddy, I am blocked. Oh well, wait for three hours, so I browse the "Alphabet Soup" thing I got kicked off from, and I must admit, not bad, not bad at all. Well, yesterday when I found out the news, one name sticked out, he has a blog, but I won't name him. At the end of 5th grade, I hit him. Apparently he has fallen in with another certain person from my past, whom I don't like, and is now obsessed with cars. Why cars? Easily influenced by his new crowd, but then I read something he said. He said something along the lines of "cars have always been a man's muscle." That's it, see, this guy had always been kinda shrimpy, I suppose, cars make him feel tough and attractive? I don't know, whatever he does, I don't care.

So during that three hours of being blocked by Buddy, a lot happens behind the scenes, things that I chose to stay out of because of our tension. Sufficed to say, it has been mended, but the thought of what we are capeable of saying and thinking will linger in my mind for a long time to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home