Odyssey

Everyone must take a great journey through life. This is a little bit of my own, my odyssey.

Thursday, June 24, 2004

Mental Chaos

As of now... I do not know which direction my life is taking. By life I mean martial arts, it is my life. Mine is the path of the warrior, I learn to better myself and find meaning in my life.

However, as you know, my dojo is terrible. I ask someone about a particular techniqe, and the question passes along four people before reaching the 3rd degree black belt. Even she doesn't know, stops and thinks about it, then gives a probable use for it. PROBABLE? What about PRACTICAl? Or DEFINATE? And yes, I know about martial arts being practiced in secret, disguised so onlookers wouldn't notice them, but still, even disguised, they had to retain some use, right?

And in kendo, I would ask everyone if my technique was good, they would shrug and say it was fine. Everyone, that is, except for one guy, who pointed out the fifty flaws with it. My sword wasn't straight, pulled it too far back, feet too far apart, shoulders too still, grip too tight, etc. Well, I begin to think the dojo isn't well... what I was looking for. So that, coupled with school pressure, I stop for a while. I get in contact with that guy who pointed out all of my flaws, and he tells me that in his opinion, that dojo was terrible. Their swords were in horrible condition, etc. He also told me that he and several others formed another club elsewhere... very far away from me.

Suddenly my good fortune of a close dojo was shattered by the bleak reality that the dojo wanted my money, and when I came back, they'd always give me funny looks. I don't know why I keep going back there, sure my contract and all, but still. There's a quote from Musashi, he said, "Even if you practice a particular way every day, if the spirit is misguided then what you believe to be true, is not true, even though that is how you have been taught. Examine your path, and find out if it is true or untrue." Well, I've examined the path, and it's definately not true.

Well, for a mind in a state of chaos, that was a pretty quick and clear post. For once I didn't "dodge the topic" by going into the long history, just have some examples. And I don't think this is bad enough to make me go insane. But I have been looking for dojos, and I'll continue until I find the right one. And I won't go to another one unless I'm positive and get I other opinions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home